1959 ArticlePati, a city (pop. 22,440 in 1959) in northwest Java, Indonesia, a former mission of the Dutch Mennonite Mission Association, transferred to the Mennonites by the Reformed Church in 1898. At first Missionary Johann Fast had little success here, but after 1930, when a missionary hospital was built, the number of converts from Islam increased and a congregation was founded, independent since 1940, with a meetinghouse. In 1949 this congregation numbered 102 baptized members and 95 children; the minister is Sardjoe Djojodihardjo (since 1949). Besides this Javanese congregation there is in the town of Pati also a Chinese Mennonite congregation (membership 176 in 1953). -- Ernst Crous, Nanne van der Zijpp
1987 UpdatePati is an Indonesian city of some 70,000 inhabitants (1987) located 75 km. (46 miles) east/northeast of Semarang, the capital of the province of Central Java. Pati is the administrative center for both the kabupaten (county) and the residency (comprising several counties) of Pati. Though Pati is the largest city in the kabupaten of Pati, and the next largest town, Juana, has only some 20,000 inhabitants, the remaining small towns and several hundred agricultural villages have a total population of about one million.
The synod offices of the Gereja Injili di Tanah Jawa (GITJ; Evangelical Church of Java or Javanese Mennonite Church) are located on Rogowongso Street in Pati, making use of the church building the Pati congregation has long outgrown. The synod's Wiyata Wacana Theological College, originally operated jointly with the synod of the Persatuan Gereja-Gereja Kristen Muria Indonesia (GKMI; Muria Christian Church in Indonesia) is located in Pati. So are its two (government-supported) schools for training teachers of Christian faith in the public schools, 3 of the 10 schools in its Christian (BOPKRI) school system, and three of the synod's congregations. The offices of the inter-Mennonite Scholarship Foundation and Development Commission for Outside Java are located in the building on Penjawi Street that for about 20 years served as Mennonite Central Committee headquarters for Indonesia. The inter-Mennonite economic development foundation, YAKEM, was headquartered in Pati before its demise in the late 1970s.
The Pati congregation of the GITJ led the way in fostering the formation of new congregations during the late 1960s and 1970s. Ten of its branch congregations came to maturity during that period.
The Pati congregation of the GKMI was formed about 1940. This congregation has also been instrumental in the formation of several congregations in the surrounding area. -- Lawrence M. Yoder
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 336.
Uit Verleden en Heden der Doopsgezinde Tending, 1937.
|Author(s)||Ernst, Nanne van der Zijpp Crous|
|Lawrence M. Yoder|
Cite This Article
Crous, Ernst, Nanne van der Zijpp and Lawrence M. Yoder. "Pati (Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 25 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pati_(Indonesia)&oldid=93251.
Crous, Ernst, Nanne van der Zijpp and Lawrence M. Yoder. (1987). Pati (Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pati_(Indonesia)&oldid=93251.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.