Pakantan, formerly a mission station of the Dutch Mennonite Mission Society (Doopsgezinde Zendings Vereeniging [DZV], now Doopsgezinde Zendingsraad [DZR]) on the island of Sumatra, Indonesia (formerly Dutch East Indies), south of Sipiroh, was founded on 10 January 1871, by Heinrich Dirks. On 3 August 1871, he received the first three converts into the congregation by baptism. When he left to return to Russia in 1881 there were 100 members. The station was taken over by Tilleman Ernst Irle (1848-1912) of the Rheinische Missionsgesellschaft (RMG), and by Gerhard Nikkel in 1888. Nikkel returned to Europe in 1900, and was replaced by Johann Thiessen 1901-1912. For a short time David Dirks, the son of the founder, worked here. In 1911 Peter Nachtigal took charge of this post and served faithfully until his premature death in 1928. Since that time the congregation was without a missionary, cared for by native workers, until it joined the native Christian Batak church. With the support of the Dutch Mennonite Mission Society, a hospital and a school were built at Pakantan.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen. (1891): 40 f.
Dutch Mennonite Mission Society reports.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 332.
Mennonitische Blätter. (1879): 30 ff.
Uit Verleden en heden van de Doopsgezinde lending. (1914): 20-23, 52, 54.
De Zondagsbode XVII (1903-4): No. 13.
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2007|
Cite This Article
Neff, Christian and Richard D. Thiessen. "Pakantan (Mandailing, Sumatra, Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2007. Web. 29 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pakantan_(Mandailing,_Sumatra,_Indonesia)&oldid=111535.
Neff, Christian and Richard D. Thiessen. (February 2007). Pakantan (Mandailing, Sumatra, Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pakantan_(Mandailing,_Sumatra,_Indonesia)&oldid=111535.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.