From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Ostrog (50° 20′ 0″ N, 26° 31′ 0″ E) a town formerly in Volhynia near which Prussian Mennonite settlers from the Graudenz area settled in 1801-1812; they had first settled in 1787 at Michalin, (sometimes called Deutsch-Michalin) southwest of Kiev. The first village settled was Karolswalde, four miles (6.4 km.) south of Ostrog. Ultimately the settlement was composed of 9 villages, most of them south of Ostrog. Virtually the entire group emigrated in 1874 to Canton and Pawnee Rock, Kansas, and Avon, South Dakota.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Ostrog (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ostrog_(Rivne_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=135099.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Ostrog (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ostrog_(Rivne_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=135099.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1113. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.