The Osler Mission Chapel began services in 1974, and formally organized in 1975. The first building was occupied in 1976. Jacob P.Wiebe is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Old Colony Mennonites over breaches of Old Colony traditions on matters such as use of the Bible in the pulpit during preaching, a more extemporaneous preaching style, and the utilization of an evangelical conversion soteriology.
In 1975 there were 32 members; in 1985, 150. The congregation has been affiliated with the Chortitzer Mennonite Conference since 1975. The language of worship is English.
The address for the congregation is Box 160, Osler, SK, S0K 3A0. (306) 230-4656. The meetinghouse is located at 6th Ave. and 1st St. Minister Cornie Guenther served from 1978 to 2000 as an unsalaried congregational leader. In 2013 the pastors were Bill Janzen, salaried Lead Pastor, with John Unger and Simon Wiebe serving as unsalaried pastors. Attendance each Sunday exceeded 500.
Driedger, Leo. "Mennonite change: the Old Colony revisited, 1955-1977." Mennonite Life 32, no. 4 (December 1977).
Guenther, Bruce L. "The Convergence of Old Colony Mennonites, Evangelicalism and Contemporary Canadian Culture: a Case Study of Osler Mission Chapel (1974-1994)." Journal of Mennonite Studies 14 (1996): 96-123.
|Victor G. Wiebe|
|Date Published||January 2013|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Victor G. Wiebe. "Osler Mission Chapel (Osler, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2013. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osler_Mission_Chapel_(Osler,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=76735.
Epp, Marlene and Victor G. Wiebe. (January 2013). Osler Mission Chapel (Osler, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osler_Mission_Chapel_(Osler,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=76735.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.