Orphanage Society of the Eastern District Conference (General Conference Mennonite) was organized 9 November 1905 by the conference Ladies Aid societies for the purpose of creating a fund for the care of orphans and the assistance of mothers. Active members consisted of members of Mennonite churches who enrolled in the society and supported the work by freewill offerings. The original purpose, to create a fund to establish an orphans' home, was later changed to provide for orphans' and widows' support to keep families together in their own homes. Little progress was made until the fifth convention held in 1909 at Souderton, when a constitution was adopted and the first officers were elected.
By the time of the 29th convention held in Quakertown, PA on 11 November 1933, a total of $5,000 had been accumulated. It was decided to create a permanent endowment fund with this money, using the interest for the welfare work of the society. The Orphanage Society gave much aid to needy orphans and widows within the membership of the Eastern District Conference. Contributions were given to local orphanages. Orphans, nurses, and orphanages abroad were supported as mission projects. Gifts relieved war and famine sufferers in Europe and Asia, such as over 1,000 pairs of new shoes for war sufferers.
 Cite This Article
S., G.G. "Orphanage Society of the Eastern District Conference." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orphanage_Society_of_the_Eastern_District_Conference&oldid=76714.
S., G.G. (1959). Orphanage Society of the Eastern District Conference. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orphanage_Society_of_the_Eastern_District_Conference&oldid=76714.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.