From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:45, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search
An arcaded house erected in 1802 by Peter Loeven for Cornelius Jansson. Source: Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization  in Poland website.
Orloff (now Orłowo, Poland) Source: Wikipedia Commons
Orloff (also known as Orlofferweihe; now known as Orłowo; coordinates: 54.20638, 19.0797 [54° 12′ 22″ N, 19° 4′ 46″ E]; population in 1905, 193; in 2012, 580) is located approximately 3 kilometres (2 miles) south-west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 19 km. (12 mi.) north of Malbork (Marienburg), 20 km. (12.6 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), and 35 km. (22 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).

Orloff was established in 1349 by the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, Heinrich Dusemer von Arfberg, under the Chełmno law (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government). At the time, the village had 48 włókas (862 hectares). Dutch settlers arrived in 1550 and the settlement of Orlofferfelde (Orłowskie Pole) was sectioned off from Orłowo, which retained 18 włókas (323 hectares) of land. 

Until 1772 Orloff was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Orloff was located. Orloff was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Orloff (now Orłowo) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.

In 1727, the village had 12 Mennonites families. The 1776 Prussian census lists 13 Mennonite families with the following surnames: Dick, Fast, Hamann, Lepp, Neufeld, Penner, Quiring, Reimer, Rigehr, Schultz, Suckau, Thiessen, and Wieb. In 1820, the village had 145 residents, including 84 Mennonites. 

The Flemish Mennonites of Orloff were members of the Ladekopp Mennonite Church while the Frisian Mennonites were members of the Orlofferfelde Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Orłowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 20 November 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=408&lang=en.

Wikipedia. "Orłowo, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 20 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Or%C5%82owo,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.

Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 20 November 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4888.

Maps

Map:Orloff, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published November 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Orloff (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orloff_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95979.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Orloff (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orloff_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95979.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.