Oortman, a Mennonite family, formerly living at Utrecht, Netherlands, where they were found from the 17th century, while other members of this family are found at Leiden, Amsterdam, and other places. Many members of this family served as deacons (eleven at Utrecht during the period 1699-1909). Andries Oortman, who obtained his medical degree at the University of Utrecht in 1735 and soon after became city physician of Utrecht, was a deacon of the Utrecht Mennonite congregation, as was his son Andries Oortman, Jr., also a physician. Andries Oortman, Jr. was one of the four members of the Utrecht congregation who in 1765 gave a pipe organ for the Utrecht church; this was the first organ in any Mennonite church. He also promoted and led the building of a new church in Utrecht, which was dedicated in 1773. Jan Oortman (d. 1887), bequeathed 100,000 Dutch guilders to the Algemeene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit (General Mennonite Conference). Johannes Oortman of Utrecht was a minister of the Waterlander congregation at Alkmaar 1734-1737. Thereafter he served at Gouda 1737-1739 and at Rotterdam from 1739 until his early death in 1741.
Berghuijs, H.B. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinde Gemeente te Utrecht. 1926.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: II, No. 1794.
Verslag (report) of the Algemeene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit (1888): 5; (1891): 23.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Oortman family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oortman_family&oldid=119855.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Oortman family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oortman_family&oldid=119855.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 68. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.