From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Old Colony Mennonite community at Matheson, Ontario began in 1957 when about a dozen Old Colony Mennonite families from  Mexico settled in the area. The purchased pasture land and worked locally. Although no formal church was established, worship services were led by a Reinland Mennonite Church minister from Manitoba. Over the years families moved away to join communities near Aylmer, Ontario, Rainy River, Ontario or to Manitoba. Within a few years the settlement ended.

[edit] Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (18 April 1958): 1; (7 November 1958): 3; (14 August 1959): 1.

Dyck, Peter & Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario." Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875-2000, Delbert Plett, ed. Steinbach, Man.: Crossway Publications, 2001: 163.

Gospel Herald (31 December 1957): 1144.

Fransen, J. J. "Matheson and New Liskeard." United Mennonite Conference of Ontario Yearbook. (1957): 20.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Sam Steiner
Date Published August 2011


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Matheson, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2011. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Matheson,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=76599.

APA style

Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (August 2011). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Matheson, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Matheson,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=76599.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.