Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began immigrating to Ontario in the 1960s, including the municipality of Chatham-Kent in the Leamington area. In 1965 the Old Colony Mennonite Church in Wheatley, Ontario was established. Over the next two decades the church experienced tremendous growth and built several additional churches to accommodate members. In 1988 the Wheatley congregation purchased a building from the Seventh Day Adventist congregation near Kingsville and established the Kingsville Old Colony Mennonite Church in 1988. Average weekly attendance at that time was 150. In 1997 additional property was purchased adjacent to the church and a new church facility seating 600 was constructed.
In 2010 the Old Colony Mennonite Church (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) in Kingsville, Ontario had a membership of 700-800. At that time the church was led by Bishop Peter Friesen. Services were held in both Low German and High German.
Dyck, Peter and Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 163-167.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012. http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/cms-filesystem-action/pdfs/german-cdn/101217-1.pdf.
Address: 1521 Road 4 W, Kingsville, ON N9Y2E5
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Kingsville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 2 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Kingsville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103411.
Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Kingsville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Kingsville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103411.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.