From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m
 
(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[File:Dresden-Old-Colony-Mennonite-Fellowship.jpg|400px|thumbnail|''Dresden Old Colony Mennonite Fellowship, Dresden, ON<br />
 +
Source: [http://www.ekmha.ca/dresden-old-colony-mennonite-church/ Essex Kent Mennonite Historical Association website]''.]]
 
[[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonites]] from [[Mexico|Mexico]] began settling in southern [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] in the mid-1950s, settling in [[Old Colony Mennonite Church (Aylmer, Ontario, Canada)|Aylmer]]. Eventually they made their way to other parts of southern Ontario, including the Wheatley area within the municipality of Chatham-Kent near Leamington. Throughout the 1980s the [[Old Colony Mennonite Church (Wheatley, Ontario, Canada)|Wheatley Old Colony Mennonite Church]] experienced significant growth. Much of the growth can be attributed to the migration of Mennonites from Mexico to southern Ontario.
 
[[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonites]] from [[Mexico|Mexico]] began settling in southern [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] in the mid-1950s, settling in [[Old Colony Mennonite Church (Aylmer, Ontario, Canada)|Aylmer]]. Eventually they made their way to other parts of southern Ontario, including the Wheatley area within the municipality of Chatham-Kent near Leamington. Throughout the 1980s the [[Old Colony Mennonite Church (Wheatley, Ontario, Canada)|Wheatley Old Colony Mennonite Church]] experienced significant growth. Much of the growth can be attributed to the migration of Mennonites from Mexico to southern Ontario.
  

Latest revision as of 08:37, 14 November 2013

Dresden Old Colony Mennonite Fellowship, Dresden, ON
Source: Essex Kent Mennonite Historical Association website
.

Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began settling in southern Ontario in the mid-1950s, settling in Aylmer. Eventually they made their way to other parts of southern Ontario, including the Wheatley area within the municipality of Chatham-Kent near Leamington. Throughout the 1980s the Wheatley Old Colony Mennonite Church experienced significant growth. Much of the growth can be attributed to the migration of Mennonites from Mexico to southern Ontario.

In 1989 the Wheatley church established a congregation in the Dresden-Wallaceburg area. Most of the members of this congregation were recent immigrants from Mexico. A relatively small group of 14 families were accepted as church members on 20 January 1990. The group rented a building for worship services for their first year until an old church building was purchased in the Wallaceburg area. In 2000 the building was enlarged to accommodate 500.

In 2010 the church was led by Bishop Peter Friesen and held services in Low German and High German. The church had approximately 250 members.

[edit] Bibliography

Dyck, Peter and Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 163-167.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 11159 Grove Mills Line, Dresden, ON N0P 1M0

Telephone: 519-683-1153


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published February 2012


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Dresden, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Dresden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103434.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Dresden, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Dresden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103434.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.