Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began settling in southern Ontario in the mid-1950s, settling in Aylmer. Eventually they made their way to other parts of southern Ontario, including the Wheatley area within the municipality of Chatham-Kent near Leamington. Throughout the 1980s the Wheatley Old Colony Mennonite Church experienced significant growth. Much of the growth can be attributed to the migration of Mennonites from Mexico to southern Ontario.
In 1989 the Wheatley church established a congregation in the Dresden-Wallaceburg area. Most of the members of this congregation were recent immigrants from Mexico. A relatively small group of 14 families were accepted as church members on 20 January 1990. The group rented a building for worship services for their first year until an old church building was purchased in the Wallaceburg area. In 2000 the building was enlarged to accommodate 500.
In 2010 the church was led by Bishop Peter Friesen and held services in Low German and High German. The church had approximately 250 members.
Dyck, Peter and Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 163-167.
 Additional Information
Address: 11159 Grove Mills Line, Dresden, ON N0P 1M0
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Dresden, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 6 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Dresden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103434.
Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Dresden, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Dresden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103434.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.