Ohio Conference of the United Missionary Church was a part of the Evangelical United Mennonite denomination, which was organized in 1879. It was listed as a part of the Indiana-Michigan-Ohio Conference. In 1883 the union of the Evangelical United Mennonites and the Brethren in Christ created the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church (which changed its name to United Missionary Church in 1947 and merged with The Missionary Church Association in 1969 to form the Missionary Church). Several churches of the Swankite Branch of the Brethren in Christ located in Clark County, Ohio, and in Westmoreland and Armstrong counties in Western Pennsylvania were added and formed a nucleus from which the district was localized in several areas. On 27 October 1942 the General Conference Executive Committee granted the request for separation.
On 11 April 1944, the Ohio Conference met in its first annual session at Hubert Avenue Church in Springfield.
In the mid-1950s, the Ohio Conference had conducted an annual camp meeting at Ludlow Falls for 35 consecutive years. During this time, foreign missionary work was one of the primary objectives and the conference was represented by five missionaries.
The twelfth annual session, in 1956, reported 18 ministers, 1,268 members, and a total offering for the twelve-month period of $166,101. The estimated value of the property was $439,850.
|Author(s)||H. E Bowman|
Cite This Article
Bowman, H. E. "Ohio Conference of the United Missionary Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohio_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=76573.
Bowman, H. E. (1959). Ohio Conference of the United Missionary Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohio_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=76573.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.