From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "<em> </em>" to " ")
m (Text replace - "<strong> </strong>" to " ")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Oberholtzer<strong> </strong>Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), built in Beaver Township, [[Mahoning County (Ohio, USA)|Mahoning County]], OH, in 1825. The land was donated by [[Oberholtzer, Jacob (1767-1847)|Jacob Oberholtzer]], a minister of the congregation. The building committee for this log church, 30 x 36 ft., was George Baughman and Jonathan Oberholtzer. In 1871 this log church was replaced by a brick church, 40 x 50 ft., begun in 1869 located a short distance to the southwest. The building committee for this brick church was Jacob Yoder, Daniel Ziegler, and Melchior Mellinger. The erection of this new church precipitated an [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order]] (Wisler)  schism in the Columbiana-Mahoning congregation in 1872, which followed Bishop Jacob Wisler from the main body in [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]]. In 1898 the building was enlarged. This church was known as Oberholtzer's until 1898, when it was called the Middle Church. About 1900 Allen Rickert, a minister, suggested, "Let's call it Midway." David Lehman was the first to use the name in making announcements from the pulpit. The name [[Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)|Midway Mennonite Church]] continues to the present. In August 1957 a marker of Georgia granite was placed on the site of the original log church.
+
Oberholtzer Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), built in Beaver Township, [[Mahoning County (Ohio, USA)|Mahoning County]], OH, in 1825. The land was donated by [[Oberholtzer, Jacob (1767-1847)|Jacob Oberholtzer]], a minister of the congregation. The building committee for this log church, 30 x 36 ft., was George Baughman and Jonathan Oberholtzer. In 1871 this log church was replaced by a brick church, 40 x 50 ft., begun in 1869 located a short distance to the southwest. The building committee for this brick church was Jacob Yoder, Daniel Ziegler, and Melchior Mellinger. The erection of this new church precipitated an [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order]] (Wisler)  schism in the Columbiana-Mahoning congregation in 1872, which followed Bishop Jacob Wisler from the main body in [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]]. In 1898 the building was enlarged. This church was known as Oberholtzer's until 1898, when it was called the Middle Church. About 1900 Allen Rickert, a minister, suggested, "Let's call it Midway." David Lehman was the first to use the name in making announcements from the pulpit. The name [[Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)|Midway Mennonite Church]] continues to the present. In August 1957 a marker of Georgia granite was placed on the site of the original log church.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 13-14|date=1959|a1_last=Swope|a1_first=Wilmer D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 13-14|date=1959|a1_last=Swope|a1_first=Wilmer D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 03:21, 13 April 2014

Oberholtzer Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), built in Beaver Township, Mahoning County, OH, in 1825. The land was donated by Jacob Oberholtzer, a minister of the congregation. The building committee for this log church, 30 x 36 ft., was George Baughman and Jonathan Oberholtzer. In 1871 this log church was replaced by a brick church, 40 x 50 ft., begun in 1869 located a short distance to the southwest. The building committee for this brick church was Jacob Yoder, Daniel Ziegler, and Melchior Mellinger. The erection of this new church precipitated an Old Order (Wisler) schism in the Columbiana-Mahoning congregation in 1872, which followed Bishop Jacob Wisler from the main body in Indiana. In 1898 the building was enlarged. This church was known as Oberholtzer's until 1898, when it was called the Middle Church. About 1900 Allen Rickert, a minister, suggested, "Let's call it Midway." David Lehman was the first to use the name in making announcements from the pulpit. The name Midway Mennonite Church continues to the present. In August 1957 a marker of Georgia granite was placed on the site of the original log church.


Author(s) Wilmer D Swope
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Swope, Wilmer D. "Oberholtzer Mennonite Church (Mahoning County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oberholtzer_Mennonite_Church_(Mahoning_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=120355.

APA style

Swope, Wilmer D. (1959). Oberholtzer Mennonite Church (Mahoning County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oberholtzer_Mennonite_Church_(Mahoning_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=120355.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 13-14. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.