Obergum, a village in the Dutch province of Groningen, formerly the seat of a small Mennonite congregation, which had a meetinghouse here, remodeled in 1806, but soon after abandoned. The congregation was also known as Winsum and Obergum, or only Winsum (a neighboring village). It belonged to the Flemish branch, not to the Old Flemish as most congregations in this province did, and was a member of the "Humsterlandsche Sociëteit." In the 18th century the following preachers served here: Eltje Hans, resigned 1754, Andreas Huizinga 1740-c1755, Jan Syrts 1740-c1755, Jan Pieters Reckers 1754-c1765, Johannes Adema 1766-c1787. Then the pulpit became vacant. In 1816 the Mennonites at Obergum and Winsum joined the newly founded congregation of Mensingeweer, which arose from the merger of a number of small congregations in this area. About 1670 a second Mennonite congregation, belonging to the Ukowallist group, built a meetinghouse at Obergum. About this congregation no further information was available. Probably it soon died or merged with another congregation.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: vol. II, Nos. 2175 f.
Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden. Amsterdam, 1815, 107; 1829, 65.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1906): 46.
Wumkes, G. A. De Gereformeerde Kerk in de Ommelanden . . . Groningen, 1904: 39.
|Author(s)||Nanne van ders Zijpp|
 Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van ders. "Obergum (Groningen, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Obergum_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=126673.
Zijpp, Nanne van ders. (1959). Obergum (Groningen, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Obergum_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=126673.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.