The North Lima Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), formerly known as Metzler's, in North Lima, Mahoning County, Ohio, is a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA. The Mennonite community in Mahoning and Columbiana counties began in 1806 or earlier, one of the oldest Mennonite settlements in Ohio. Jacob Oberholtzer was living there by that year and was the first preacher, organizing soon after arrival the first congregation at what is now called Midway. In 1817 Jacob Nold, a bishop from Bucks County, arrived and located near Leetonia, where a meetinghouse was erected in 1819. The settlement near North Lima was begun in 1821. The first meetinghouse at the present site (Metzler's Church) is thought to have been built about 1824 by a group of families either related to the Metzlers or bearing the name; David Metzler, a deacon, who had come from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, about 1821, donated the land.
Until 1948 the North Lima, Midway, and Leetonia congregations functioned largely as one organization, rotating services (except Leetonia after ca. 1915), the membership being served in a circuit by the total ministry. A. J. Steiner, ordained bishop in 1910, was the last circuit bishop, retiring about 1950, when his son David C. Steiner was ordained (1952) as bishop for North Lima alone. The 1956 membership was 116. In 1872 a division occurred in the district, the Old Order or Wisler group withdrawing to form the Pleasant View congregation, which used the three meetinghouses jointly with the regular Mennonite congregation until 1898, when it built its own meetinghouse.
Steiner, James A. "Mahoning and Columbiana County Mennonite Churches." Ohio Evangel 10 (September-October 1956): 2-4.
Address: 90 Mennonite Drive, North Lima, OH 44452-9771
Website: North Lima Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||James A Steiner|
Cite This Article
Steiner, James A. "North Lima Mennonite Church (North Lima, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Jan 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Lima_Mennonite_Church_(North_Lima,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=117096.
Steiner, James A. (1957). North Lima Mennonite Church (North Lima, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 January 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Lima_Mennonite_Church_(North_Lima,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=117096.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.