From GAMEO
Revision as of 06:35, 4 December 2013 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Mennonites first settled in North Kildonan in 1928, in part to fulfill immigration requirements to be farmers and yet be close to city employment opportunities. These families initially worshiped together even though they came from distinctly different backgrounds.

In 1935 the families which affliated with the Schönwieser Gemeinde, organized their own group and built a meeting house on Devon Avenue. In 1938 this building was expanded. In 1938 Anna Vogt also began the first German Kindergarten. Further expansion of this building happened in 1943. Due to immigration after World War II, a new meeting house basement was completed on Roch Street in 1951 and the upper building in 1956. In 1964 this building was further expanded, and again in the late 1980s. The congregation became independent of the Schoenwieser Gemeinde (by then known as First Mennonite Church (Winnipeg) in 1957. Daniel Loewen is considered the founding leader of the group.

The languages of worship are German and English; the transition from German occurred in the 1970s.

Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (20 May 1960): 23.

50th Anniversary: North Kildonan Mennonite Church 1935-1985. Winnipeg, MB, 1987, 157 pp.

Mennonite Reporter (15 September 1986): 14.

Fast, Karl, ed. Fiftieth Anniversary of the Mennonite Settlement in North Kildonan. Winnipeg, 1978, 128 pp.

Fast, Karl. Fuenfundzwanzig Jahre der mennonitischen Ansiedlung zu Nord Kildonan, 1928-1953. 1953, 70 pp.

North Kildonan Mennonitengemeinde, 1935-1975. Winnipeg: North Kildonan Mennonitengemeinde, 1975, 96 pp.

Archival Records

Church records at Mennonite Heritage Centre

Additional Information

Address: 1131 Roch Street, Winnipeg MB R2G 1S1

Telephone: 204-663-5059

Denominational Affiliations:

Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba (1958-present)

Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1958-present)

General Conference Mennonite Church (1959-1999).

North Kildonan Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1965 348
1975 458
1985 512
1995 478
2000 431

North Kildonan Mennonite Church Ministers

Minister Years of Service
Daniel Loewen 1933-1934
1943-1950
Victor Schröder 1936-1969
H. Janzen 1936-1937
Peter Dirks 1939-1941
Is. Klassen 1945-1958
Jacob Friesen 1951-1956
Abe Rempel 1967-1978
Jakob Wiebe 1978-1995
Henry Harder 1981
David Epp 1982-1993
Edward Enns 1988-1990
Albert Durksen 1990-2011
Harold Peters-Fransen (interim) 2011-2013


Author(s) John H. Enns
Marlene Epp
Date Published December 2013


Cite This Article

MLA style

Enns, John H. and Marlene Epp. "North Kildonan Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2013. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Kildonan_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104643.

APA style

Enns, John H. and Marlene Epp. (December 2013). North Kildonan Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Kildonan_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104643.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 921. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.