The North Easthope Reformed Mennonite congregation formally organized in 1844. The first building was occupied in 1850. Christian Zimmerman and John Honderich are considered the first members of the group in this geographic area. The congregation originated through colonization by Reformed Mennonite families from the Niagara area. Members from other denominations also joined the group. Arkona, Port Colborne, Rainham, Stevensville, North Easthope, Hostetler's, and Kingwood Reformed Mennonite shared a common membership; North Easthope is now the only building used by the group in the Waterloo/Perth area.
The land for the original building at the present location was purchased in 1871. In 1882 the building was moved and enlarged. It was moved and enlarged again in 1902, and renovations were made in the 1970s.
Bishop Robert L. Beehler and Ministers Walter J. Roth, Edward F. Bankert and Allan R. Bankert served as non-salaried congregational leaders in 2000. In 1950 there were 110 members; in 1975, 110; in 2000 78. The congregation has been affiliated with the Reformed Mennonite Church since 1844. The language of worship is English. Language transition occurred in in the 1900s.
Other ministers who served the congregation prior to 1955 included Joseph Wilhelm, Frederick Weicker, Harvey Gampp (bishop), Abram Honderich and Aaron Yost.
The church is located at R.R. 1, New Hamburg, ON, 1993 Perth Line Road 43, 2 km. east of Amulree on the south side of the Road to Philipsburg.
|Date Published||June 2000|
 Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "North Easthope Reformed Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2000. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Easthope_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(New_Hamburg,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=113117.
Steiner, Sam. (June 2000). North Easthope Reformed Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Easthope_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(New_Hamburg,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=113117.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.