From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Text replace - "<strong> </strong>" to " ")
 
Line 3: Line 3:
 
<h3>[[1957 Article, Mexico|1957 Article]]</h3> Ojo de lad Yegua, a Mennonite settlement (north settlement) near [[Cuauhtémoc (Chihuahua State, Mexico)|Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico]], was established by landless [[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonite]] families in 1946 northeast of the [[Manitoba Colony (Mexico)|Manitoba Mennonite settlement]]. The Buena Vista ranch, formerly occupied by J. E. Enns, is located in this settlement. The beginning of this daughter colony of the Manitoba and Swift Current settlement was a difficult one. In 1953 it had a population of 3,594. -- CK
 
<h3>[[1957 Article, Mexico|1957 Article]]</h3> Ojo de lad Yegua, a Mennonite settlement (north settlement) near [[Cuauhtémoc (Chihuahua State, Mexico)|Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico]], was established by landless [[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonite]] families in 1946 northeast of the [[Manitoba Colony (Mexico)|Manitoba Mennonite settlement]]. The Buena Vista ranch, formerly occupied by J. E. Enns, is located in this settlement. The beginning of this daughter colony of the Manitoba and Swift Current settlement was a difficult one. In 1953 it had a population of 3,594. -- CK
  
<h3>1989 Update</h3> Nord Colony is<strong> </strong>also commonly known as the "Ojo de la Yegua" colony, and is the result of a series of land purchases by [[Manitoba Colony (Mexico)|Manitoba Colony]]. As early as 1933 the Manitoba Colony bought the Mexican ranch "Saucito," now Campo No. 35 and renamed it Altenau. By 1962 all of the land as far north as the Santa Clara Colony had been acquired by the Manitoba Colony. After the land of the Ojo de la Yegua ranch was bought in 1948 people in the new area became an independent colony, electing their own [[Elder (Ältester)|elder]] (bishop) and <em>Vorsteher </em>(chairman). In 1962 the northern section of the Nord Colony, the Santa Rita Colony, became a separate entity as well. In the early 1960s a small group of farmers from Campo 38.5 (Steinreich farm) requested help from the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonites]] in North America to establish a school. This eventually resulted in a General Conference school and church. The boarding home for elementary school children functioned for several years. In 1987 these facilities were made available to the adult education center, also part of the General Conference church work, which was then transferred from Kilometer 17 to Steinreich. Both the German Church of God and the [[Evangelical Mennonite Conference (Kleine Gemeinde)|Evangelical Mennonite Conference]] from Canada established schools in Campo No. 67.
+
<h3>1989 Update</h3> Nord Colony is also commonly known as the "Ojo de la Yegua" colony, and is the result of a series of land purchases by [[Manitoba Colony (Mexico)|Manitoba Colony]]. As early as 1933 the Manitoba Colony bought the Mexican ranch "Saucito," now Campo No. 35 and renamed it Altenau. By 1962 all of the land as far north as the Santa Clara Colony had been acquired by the Manitoba Colony. After the land of the Ojo de la Yegua ranch was bought in 1948 people in the new area became an independent colony, electing their own [[Elder (Ältester)|elder]] (bishop) and <em>Vorsteher </em>(chairman). In 1962 the northern section of the Nord Colony, the Santa Rita Colony, became a separate entity as well. In the early 1960s a small group of farmers from Campo 38.5 (Steinreich farm) requested help from the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonites]] in North America to establish a school. This eventually resulted in a General Conference school and church. The boarding home for elementary school children functioned for several years. In 1987 these facilities were made available to the adult education center, also part of the General Conference church work, which was then transferred from Kilometer 17 to Steinreich. Both the German Church of God and the [[Evangelical Mennonite Conference (Kleine Gemeinde)|Evangelical Mennonite Conference]] from Canada established schools in Campo No. 67.
  
 
Many of the conservative Old Colonists of the Nord Colony emigrated to [[Bolivia|Bolivia]] and [[Paraguay|Paraguay]]. The [[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony]] population of Ojo de la Yegua Colony on 1 January 1987 stood at 11,854. Of these 4,390 were baptized church members.
 
Many of the conservative Old Colonists of the Nord Colony emigrated to [[Bolivia|Bolivia]] and [[Paraguay|Paraguay]]. The [[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony]] population of Ojo de la Yegua Colony on 1 January 1987 stood at 11,854. Of these 4,390 were baptized church members.

Latest revision as of 03:23, 13 April 2014

Contents

1957 Article

Ojo de lad Yegua, a Mennonite settlement (north settlement) near Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico, was established by landless Old Colony Mennonite families in 1946 northeast of the Manitoba Mennonite settlement. The Buena Vista ranch, formerly occupied by J. E. Enns, is located in this settlement. The beginning of this daughter colony of the Manitoba and Swift Current settlement was a difficult one. In 1953 it had a population of 3,594. -- CK

1989 Update

Nord Colony is also commonly known as the "Ojo de la Yegua" colony, and is the result of a series of land purchases by Manitoba Colony. As early as 1933 the Manitoba Colony bought the Mexican ranch "Saucito," now Campo No. 35 and renamed it Altenau. By 1962 all of the land as far north as the Santa Clara Colony had been acquired by the Manitoba Colony. After the land of the Ojo de la Yegua ranch was bought in 1948 people in the new area became an independent colony, electing their own elder (bishop) and Vorsteher (chairman). In 1962 the northern section of the Nord Colony, the Santa Rita Colony, became a separate entity as well. In the early 1960s a small group of farmers from Campo 38.5 (Steinreich farm) requested help from the General Conference Mennonites in North America to establish a school. This eventually resulted in a General Conference school and church. The boarding home for elementary school children functioned for several years. In 1987 these facilities were made available to the adult education center, also part of the General Conference church work, which was then transferred from Kilometer 17 to Steinreich. Both the German Church of God and the Evangelical Mennonite Conference from Canada established schools in Campo No. 67.

Many of the conservative Old Colonists of the Nord Colony emigrated to Bolivia and Paraguay. The Old Colony population of Ojo de la Yegua Colony on 1 January 1987 stood at 11,854. Of these 4,390 were baptized church members.

[edit] Bibliography

Kraybill, Paul N., ed. Mennonite World Handbook. Lombard, IL: Mennonite World Conference, 1978: 277-278.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Helen Ens
Date Published 1989


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius and Helen Ens. "Nord Colony, Mexico." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 17 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nord_Colony,_Mexico&oldid=120430.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius and Helen Ens. (1989). Nord Colony, Mexico. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nord_Colony,_Mexico&oldid=120430.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 33, v. 5, p. 638. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.