From GAMEO
Revision as of 18:53, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Ninth Street Community Church (formerly Ninth Street Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA)), 1118 North 9th Street, Saginaw, Michigan, was begun in 1949 as a mission for the African American people of the city and operated under the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities.

The Church began when Leroy and Irene Bechler moved to North 8th St. in Saginaw. As a result of a successful Bible school ministry in the area, church and Sunday school services were held in their home. In 1951, the current church building was built. Following Leroy Bechler there had been five other pastors by 2007: Marvin Sweigert, Lee Lowery, Bens Sandaire, Timothy Atwood, and William L. Scott.

In 1956 the membership was 58; in 2003 the membership was 40.

Contents

Bibliography

"Ninth Street Community Church." Mennonite Church USA-Online Directory. Accessed 22 June 2007. <http://directory.mennoniteusa.org/congregation.asp?CongregationID=1678>

Additional Information


Author(s) Harold S. Bender
Sam Steiner
Date Published 2007


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. "Ninth Street Community Church (Saginaw, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2007. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ninth_Street_Community_Church_(Saginaw,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=76382.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. (2007). Ninth Street Community Church (Saginaw, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ninth_Street_Community_Church_(Saginaw,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=76382.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.