Revision as of 18:52, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Niederflörsheim was a village near Monsheim, Rhenish Hesse, Germany, where a number of Swiss Mennonites settled at the close of the Thirty Years' War. In a decision of 16 February 1652, the church council in Heidelberg issued a warning to the Palatine government regarding the Mennonites, since "it is known what a dangerous and stubborn sect they are." The list of Mennonites of 1664 (in the state archives in Karlsruhe) named three Mennonite families, which had grown to five by 1680; among them are the names of Christian Borckholder, Christian Clementz, and Julius Schmidt. In 1685 Osthofen issued an exact list, in which only three families were named: Johann Clemens, a decrepit old man with his wife, who was supported by his son-in-law; Christian Borckholder, the son-in-law mentioned above, with a wife and child, a farmer; and Peter Clemens, 64 years old, unmarried, supported himself from his vineyard; they were neighborly and gave no one cause to complain. Later a Christoffel married into the community. In 1773, 12 Mennonites were counted in the village. In the mid-1950s there were five Mennonites living in Niederflörsheim; they belonged to the Monsheim congregation.


Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 225.

Author(s) Christian Neff
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Neff, Christian. "Niederflörsheim (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Oct 2016.,_Germany)&oldid=76321.

APA style

Neff, Christian. (1957). Niederflörsheim (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2016, from,_Germany)&oldid=76321.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 874. All rights reserved.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.