Niedau received privileges in 1356. Until 1772 Niedau was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Niedau was located. Niedau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Niedau (now Nidowo) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 census of Prussia lists three Mennonite families in the village with the following surnames: Dick, Claassen, and Wall. In 1820, the village had 169 residents, including 24 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Niedau were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Nidowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 15 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=395&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Nidowo." Web. 15 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidowo.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 15 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4734.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Niedau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 21 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Niedau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95955.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Niedau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Niedau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95955.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.