The Niagara United Mennonite congregation began services in 1934, and formally organized in 1938. The first building was occupied in 1937, with a subsequent building program in 1949. Peter Kroeker is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization of the Niagara area by immigrants from the Soviet Union. Most of the early immigrants became fruit farmers in the Niagara district.
In 1950 there were 400 members; in 1965, 704; in 1975, 608; in 1985, 745; in 1995, 661; in 2000, 625. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario (1938-1988), Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1938-), General Conference Mennonite Church (1938-1999) and Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-). In 2002 the language of worship was English and German; the transition from German began in the 1950s.
Leading ministers since 1938 have included Peter Kroeker (1938-1944), Cornelius K. Neufeld (1944-1946), Jacob A. Dyck (Aeltester, 1947-1959), Cornelius K. Neufeld (1959-1961), Peter Klassen (1960-1962), David Janzen (1961-1972), Martin Sawatzky (1972-1975), Peter Falk (1975-1982), David Janzen & Werner Fast (1982-1983), Otto Dirks (1983-2000), Willard Shertzer (2000- ).
Canadian Mennonite (12 July 1966): 16.
Friesen, C. Alfred. Memoirs of the Virgil-Niagara Mennonites. 1984): 39-42.
Klassen, Peter. "The Niagara United Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1957, 15 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
The Niagara United Mennonite Church, 1938-1988. Niagara-on-the-Lake: Niagara United Mennonite Church, 1988, 196 pp.
Niagara United Mennonite Church history: Eben-Ezer 25 Jahre, 1938-1963. Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: Niagara United Mennonite Church, 1963, 46 pp.
Stobbe, Bernard. "Ein Geschichtlicher Ueberblick ueber die drei Gemeinden der Vereinigten Mennoniten in der Niagara Halbinsel." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1956, 20 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Archival RecordsChurch records at the church.
Address: Box 909, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
Location: 1 km northeast of Virgil on the south side of Niagara Stone Road
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Dyck, J.A. and Marlene Epp. "Niagara United Mennonite Church (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 26 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Niagara_United_Mennonite_Church_(Niagara-on-the-Lake,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93087.
Dyck, J.A. and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Niagara United Mennonite Church (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Niagara_United_Mennonite_Church_(Niagara-on-the-Lake,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93087.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.