The modern Mennonite presence in New Jersey began with a church planting venture led by Henry and Ida Swartley at Oxford in Warren County in 1956. In 1988 there were nine Mennonite congregations in the state affiliated with four different conferences as follows: Atlantic Coast Conference (MC), 1 congregation, 46 members; Franconia Mennonite Conference (MC), 2, 105; Lancaster Mennonite Conference (MC), 5, 300; Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church, 1, 30. The Puerto de Sion congregation in Trenton participated in Concilio Nacional de Iglesias Menonitas Hispañas. Friendship Mennonite Chapel at Carneys Point was affiliated with the Afro-American Mennonite Association. Lancaster Mennonite Conference had three church planting centers at Atlantic City, Camden, and Mizpah. The Vineland Mennonite congregation sponsored an elementary school with 21 students (1988).
|Anabaptist / Mennonite Denominations in New Jersey, 2000|
|Church of the Brethren||1||156|
|Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church||1||51|
|Mennonite Church USA||14||1,006|
|Mennonite; Other Groups||1||60|
ARDA: Association of Religion Data Archives. "State Membership Report: New Jersey, Denominational Groups, 2000." http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/state/34_2000.asp (accessed 19 March 2009).
Horsch, James E., ed. Mennonite Yearbook and Directory. Scottdale, PA: Mennonite Publishing House (1988-89): 30, 60-70, 105, 122, 173.
Wikipedia. "New Jersey." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey (accessed 19 March 2009).
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2009|
Cite This Article
Sawatzky, Reynold and Richard D. Thiessen. "New Jersey (USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2009. Web. 5 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Jersey_(USA)&oldid=93077.
Sawatzky, Reynold and Richard D. Thiessen. (March 2009). New Jersey (USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Jersey_(USA)&oldid=93077.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.