New Holland is a town (pop. 3,000 in 1950; 5,092 in 2000) located 13 miles (20 km) northeast of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. With Hans Groff settling to the northwest, the Weaver brothers and David Martin to the east, the Rancks to the southeast, and Dorus Eby to the southwest, this area was left for John Diffenderfer, the 1728 immigrant. David Martin brought him, his family, and all his worldly possessions from the port of entry to this area. With the aid of Swiss Mennonite neighbors he soon had a shelter and a cow. His son Michael laid out the town in 1760, on 268 acres patented to him, first called Säue-Schwamm (Hog Wallow) for very apparent reasons, later Earltown after Hans Groff, then New Design until the 1760s. Then the name New Holland was adopted, honoring the country that so graciously made possible the journey of many to this country. The town became a trading center for the Mennonites on the fertile acres around. The silk mill, the concrete works, and the overshadowing New Holland Machine Company, were industries in the 1950s. A Mennonite meetinghouse was also found in the town.
Weaver, Martin G. A history of New Holland Pennsylvania: covering its growth and activities during two hundred years of existence. 1728-1928. New Holland, PA: New Holland Clarion, .
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "New Holland (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Holland_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=76241.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). New Holland (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Holland_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=76241.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.