New Elm Springs Hutterite Bruderhof, near Ethan, South Dakota, was founded in 1911. In 1918 the Brethren sold the property and founded the New Elm Springs Bruderhof near Magrath, Alberta. In 1936 the Maxwell Bruderhof near Pigeon Lake, Manitoba, Canada, bought this site and settled on it. Their preacher Joseph Hofer was chosen to the ministry in 1919 by the Maxwell colony in Manitoba. In 1939 Samuel Wollman was also chosen. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 146, with 56 baptized members.
Daughter colonies of New Elm Spring Hutterite Colony include: Big Stone (Graceville, Minnesota); Maxwell (Scotland, South Dakota); Old Elm Spring (Parkston, South Dakota); and Poinsett (Estelline, South Dakota).
In 2012 New Elm Springs Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. Mike Tschetter was the minister and Joseph Tschetter was the manager.
 Additional Information
Location: Ethan, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.4894, -97.8242 [43° 29′ 21″ N, 97° 49′ 27″ E]; located 7.6 km. (4.7 miles) north-west of Milltown, 12.6 km. (7.8 miles) east of Dimock, 13.9 km. (8.6 miles) south-east of Ethan, and 16.4 km. (10.2 miles) north-east of Parkston, South Dakota).
Address: 41844 - 269th St., Ethan, SD 57334-5206
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2013|
 Cite This Article
Decker, David and Richard D. Thiessen. "New Elm Springs Hutterite Colony (Ethan, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 1 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Elm_Springs_Hutterite_Colony_(Ethan,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=76232.
Decker, David and Richard D. Thiessen. (February 2013). New Elm Springs Hutterite Colony (Ethan, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Elm_Springs_Hutterite_Colony_(Ethan,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=76232.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.