From GAMEO
Revision as of 17:37, 19 March 2014 by SamSteiner (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

The New Danville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was built on the land of Bishop Hans Burkholder and Melchior Brenneman, pioneers of 1717. The cemetery is still there. In the overflow from the Lampeter-Strasburg settlement of 1710 many of the new arrivals in 1717 came into this area. The first meetinghouse, built in 1755 in this stump land, was called Stumptown. It was replaced in 1855 and 1878 by stone churches, and therefore became known as the Stone Church. The new one of brick built in 1907 gradually took on the present name of the nearby town. This was the home district of Bishop Martin Boehm, organizer of the United Brethren Church. The membership in 1956 was 260, with David N. Thomas as bishop and James H. Hess as the minister. A three-room Christian day school nearby was sponsored by the district.

Additional Information

Address: 103 Marticville Rd, Lancaster, PA 17603

Phone: 717-872-8111

Website: New Danville Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Map

Map:New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Danville_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116310.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Danville_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116310.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 861. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.