The city of Neuteich was probably built around 1329 and served as the market town for farmers from the surrounding Vistula and Nogat deltas. Neuteich was part of the Kingdom of Poland until the First Partition of Poland resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia. Neuteich was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg from 1818 until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until March 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 Neuteich (now Nowy Staw) was in Malbork County in the Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1776 there were two Mennonite families in Neuteich, named von Bergen and Wieb. The city attracted more Mennonite families in the following years, for in 1820, 31 of the 1,382 inhabitants of Neuteich were Mennonites.
Wikipedia. "Nowy Stay." Web. 10 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowy_Staw.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 10 October 2012..
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Neuteich (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 7 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neuteich_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95941.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Neuteich (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neuteich_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95941.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.