Neustadt an der Weinstrasse (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)
Neustadt an der Weinstrasse (Neustadt a. d. W., earlier an der Haardt), is an old city (1950 population, 26,674; 2006 population, 53,506) in the Palatinate, Germany, the center of the Palatine wine industry, 16 miles (26 km) southwest of Ludwigshafen. There is evidence of an Anabaptist congregation here in the 16th century, but little specific information. An elder of this area, named Farwendel, joined the Hutterites in Moravia in 1565. The Hutterite Chronicle (Chronik, 415) calls him "ein alter diener oder leerer der Schweizer Brüder Gemain bei der Newstat an der Haart," and tells how he was in prison at Oggersheim near Worms when he decided to go to Moravia. The Branchweilerhof, which lies about one mile (1.5 km) east of the city, has been a Mennonite settlement and congregation since 1683. The Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) maintained its relief headquarters for the French Zone of Germany here (December 1946 to the fall of 1950) and for a time for all of Germany. It carried on a relief food and clothing program, and beginning in 1948 a special religious program for children by Elizabeth Wiebe. When the Mennonite Central Committee left, Miss Wiebe continued her work, and ultimately a general evangelistic program was started in 1957, leading toward the establishment of a Mennonite Brethren congregation. On 15 October 1949 an MCC children's home was established at Bad Dürkheim about 10 miles (16 km) north of Neustadt.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Neustadt an der Weinstrasse (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Mar 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neustadt_an_der_Weinstrasse_(Rheinland-Pfalz,_Germany)&oldid=93071.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Neustadt an der Weinstrasse (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 March 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neustadt_an_der_Weinstrasse_(Rheinland-Pfalz,_Germany)&oldid=93071.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 857. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.