The village was granted privileges (with 60 włókas [1,077.3 hectares]) ca. 1342-45 by the Ludolf König von Wattzau, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights. The St. Martin parish church was founded at the same time. The Catholic church was replaced in 1879. The first Lutheran church was erected in 1631 and replaced in 1838 by a new half-timbered church, which was transferred to Elbląg.
Until 1772 Neukirch was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Neukirch was located. Neukirch was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Neukirch (now Nowa Cerkiew) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ostaszewo, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In the 1776 Prussian census there were six Mennonite families living in Neukirch with the following surnames: Adrian, Ens, Jantzen, Regehr, Toews, and Warkentin. In 1820, the village had 360 residents, including 30 Mennonites.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Nowa Cerkiew." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 28 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=397&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Nowa Cerkiew, Nowy Dwór Gdański County." Web. 28 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowa_Cerkiew,_Dwór Gdański_County.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 28 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4667.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Neukirch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 4 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neukirch_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95937.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Neukirch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neukirch_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95937.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.