Neuhof was a Mennonite village near Lemberg (Lviv) in Galicia (now Lviov Oblast, Ukraine). Led by Elder Johann Müller of Einsiedel several Mennonites bought about 540 acres of land in 1830, about eight miles (13 km) west of Grodek, and founded on it the village of Neuhof with six Mennonite families. Jakob Müller, one of the first settlers, was chosen preacher there in 1839. In 1862 a church was built, which also contained a schoolroom. The number of Mennonite families had in the meantime increased to twelve. Then the Mennonites sold their land in Neuhof and moved to larger farms. In 1933 only four farms were still owned by Mennonites; on three others some aged Mennonites were receiving their living.
Maintaining the church and school life became increasingly difficult as Neuhof declined, especially since Roman Catholic Poles and Greek Catholic Ruthenians settled in Neuhof. But the Mennonites successfully preserved their German school and culture. In 1938 the group numbered 14. In 1939, when German troops marched into Neuhof, the inhabitants decided suddenly to emigrate. With a neighboring congregation they were settled in Greifenort near Buk in Warthegau.
Bachmann, Peter. Mennoniten in Kleinpolen 1784-1934. Lemberg, 1934: 208-220.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 212.
Mennonitische Blätter (1940).
Cite This Article
Pauls, H. "Neuhof (Lviv Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neuhof_(Lviv_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=120779.
Pauls, H. (1957). Neuhof (Lviv Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neuhof_(Lviv_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=120779.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.