Neudorf (Czech, Ostrožská Nová Ves, also Waltersdorf), was a village near Lundenburg (Břeclav) in Moravia, in the former domain of the Zierotin family. Under the protection of the wealthy John of Zierotin, the Hutterian Brethren opened a Bruderhof here in 1570. In 1605 the Bruderhof, located on the border, suffered severely in the Hungarian war. Imperial troops plundered the Bruderhof and killed four Brethren, including the householder Jakob Koppel, and led three away captive. In December 1620 most of the inmates fled before the inhuman cruelties of the imperial troops to Sobotjste in Hungary; many succumbed to illness and the rigors of the journey on the way. On 23 January 1621 troops burned down the house in Neudorf with all the property and goods in it. That was the end of the settlement.
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 207.
Wolkan, Rudolf. Geschicht-Buch der Hutterischen Brüder. Fort Macleod, AB, and Vienna, 1923.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Cite This Article
Dedic, Paul. "Neudorf (Morava, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neudorf_(Morava,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=76164.
Dedic, Paul. (1957). Neudorf (Morava, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neudorf_(Morava,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=76164.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.