Nappanee, Indiana (pop. 3,800 in 1955; about 6,700 in 2000) is located in the southwestern part of Elkhart County in a fertile section of farming land. It has been a collection center for the Brethren Service Relief and the location of Evangel Press, the Brethren in Christ publishing house. Of the 13 churches within the city in the 1950s, three were Mennonite, namely, North Main St. (Mennonite Church), First Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite), and United Missionary. The first Mennonites to settle in Locke and Union townships in which Nappanee is located came about 1857-1860. There were also two churches of the Conservative Mennonites and nine districts of Old Order Amish in the territory surrounding Nappanee.
|Author(s)||Homer F North|
 Cite This Article
North, Homer F. "Nappanee (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.
North, Homer F. (1957). Nappanee (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.