From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Nappanee, [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] (pop. 3,800 in 1955; about 6,700 in 2000) is located in the southwestern part of Elkhart County in a fertile section of farming land. It has been a collection center for the Brethren Service Relief and the location of Evangel Press, the [[Brethren in Christ Church |Brethren in Christ]] publishing house. Of the 13 churches within the city in the 1950s, three were Mennonite, namely, [[North Main Street Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)|North Main St.]] ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), First Mennonite ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), and United Missionary. The first Mennonites to settle in Locke and Union townships in which Nappanee is located came about 1857-1860. There were also two churches of the [[Conservative Mennonite Conference|Conservative Mennonites]] and nine districts of Old Order Amish in the territory surrounding Nappanee.  
+
Nappanee, [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] (pop. 3,800 in 1955; about 6,700 in 2000) is located in the southwestern part of Elkhart County in a fertile section of farming land. It has been a collection center for the Brethren Service Relief and the location of Evangel Press, the [[Brethren in Christ Church |Brethren in Christ]] publishing house. Of the 13 churches within the city in the 1950s, three were Mennonite, namely, [[North Main Street Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)|North Main St.]] ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), First Mennonite ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), and United Missionary. The first Mennonites to settle in Locke and Union townships in which Nappanee is located came about 1857-1860. There were also two churches of the [[Conservative Mennonite Conference|Conservative Mennonites]] and nine districts of Old Order Amish in the territory surrounding Nappanee.
 
+
 
+
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 812|date=1957|a1_last=North|a1_first=Homer F|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 812|date=1957|a1_last=North|a1_first=Homer F|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 18:51, 20 August 2013

Nappanee, Indiana (pop. 3,800 in 1955; about 6,700 in 2000) is located in the southwestern part of Elkhart County in a fertile section of farming land. It has been a collection center for the Brethren Service Relief and the location of Evangel Press, the Brethren in Christ publishing house. Of the 13 churches within the city in the 1950s, three were Mennonite, namely, North Main St. (Mennonite Church), First Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite), and United Missionary. The first Mennonites to settle in Locke and Union townships in which Nappanee is located came about 1857-1860. There were also two churches of the Conservative Mennonites and nine districts of Old Order Amish in the territory surrounding Nappanee.


Author(s) Homer F North
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

North, Homer F. "Nappanee (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.

APA style

North, Homer F. (1957). Nappanee (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 812. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.