From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Mutual Burial Fund, organized in January 1940, serves six Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregations: Montezuma, Copeland, Greensburg, Scott City, and Cimarron in Western Kansas, and Crowley, Colorado. In 1956 the Fund had a membership of about 800, in 377 families. This plan took care of all the funeral expenses, including the casket, embalming, undertaker fees, and grave digging. The caskets were made at that time by a brother at an average cost of $90.00. The average complete service of a funeral was $325.00 in 1956. The members saved at least 50 per cent on their funeral expenses.

The expenses for making the caskets as well as those of the funeral directors were taken from the church treasuries. This plan made it possible for all members to have a more uniform burial, the poor being well provided for.


Author(s) Albert Unruh
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, Albert. "Mutual Burial Fund (Church of God in Christ, Mennonite)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mutual_Burial_Fund_(Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite)&oldid=76051.

APA style

Unruh, Albert. (1957). Mutual Burial Fund (Church of God in Christ, Mennonite). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mutual_Burial_Fund_(Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite)&oldid=76051.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 801. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.