Mukedi station of the Congo Inland Mission in Africa was founded in 1922. This was the first station located in the Leopoldville province (Kinshaha) of Belgian Congo (now Democratic Repubic of Congo), and the second major expansion of the work among the Bampandi tribes. It was approximately 75 miles (130 km) northwest of Nyanga and separated from the rest of the stations by the wide and treacherous Loange river. A large medical work was carried on with both general and maternity hospitals for Congolese. The mission medical station also served a large number of European and American personnel of government, business, and missions located in the area. There was also a three-year teacher training school for Congolese preparing to teach in village or regional schools and a two-year Bible school open to graduates of elementary grades. Both these schools accepted students from other Congo Inland Mission stations and other missions in the language area. Data for 1955: 12 missionaries, 9 native church leaders, 127 teachers in Christian day schools, 1,193 baptized members, 1,138 professed Christians awaiting baptism, average daily attendance of 3,570 at all mission day schools of Mukedi and district, 180 communities where the Word is preached regularly, 21 Congolese medical helpers, 1,402 hospitalized patients, 13,223 new cases treated, 564 surgical operations performed.
|Author(s)||H. A Driver|
Cite This Article
Driver, H. A. "Mukedi (Democratic Republic of Congo)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 6 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mukedi_(Democratic_Republic_of_Congo)&oldid=59179.
Driver, H. A. (1957). Mukedi (Democratic Republic of Congo). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mukedi_(Democratic_Republic_of_Congo)&oldid=59179.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.