Muara Sipongi, a former mission station of the Dutch Mennonites on Sumatra, opened by the missionary Nikolai Wiebe (1862-?) on 26 September 1890, three hours distant from Pakantan. The region, which was inhabited by the Ulus, "a poor, deeply deteriorated, apathetic, insensitive, and sleepy people," suffered a terrible earthquake in 1892. With a wide participation by the native population the church was dedicated in October 1895. In 1901 Wiebe was followed by Johann Thiessen, who made Muara Sipongi a main station beside Pakantan. In 1911-1927 Peter Nachtigal worked there with untiring faithfulness. In 1927 the station was turned over to the supervision of a German missionary society and was served by native workers.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 173.
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2007|
 Cite This Article
Neff, Christian and Richard D. Thiessen. "Muara Sipongi (Sumatra, Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2007. Web. 3 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Muara_Sipongi_(Sumatra,_Indonesia)&oldid=92968.
Neff, Christian and Richard D. Thiessen. (February 2007). Muara Sipongi (Sumatra, Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Muara_Sipongi_(Sumatra,_Indonesia)&oldid=92968.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.