Mountain View Mennonite Church (Salisbury, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Mountain View Mennonite congregation of the Casselman River region near Salisbury, Pennsylvania, is the oldest congregation of the Beachy Amish group. On 26 June 1927, the Old Order Amish Mennonite brotherhood in the Casselman River region of Somerset County, Pennsylvania, suffered a division, resulting in what were locally known as the Yoder (Old Order) and Beachy congregations. These were named after the respective ministers of that date. For more than 26 years each group maintained a one half interest in both the Flag Run (Elk Lick Township) and the Summit Mills (Summit Township) meetinghouses, each alternately holding regular services at each meetinghouse. But in 1953 the Beachy congregation, having sold their one half interest in the above-named meetinghouses to the Old Order group, built a new meetinghouse named Mountain View, 0.25 mile northwest of Salisbury, Pennsylvania.
In 1953 the Beachy congregation had 140 members. Bishop Eli D. Tice, Grantsville, Maryland, and ministers Norman D. Beachy and Noah E. Yoder, Meyersdale, Pennsylvania, composed the ministerial body. In 2007 the congregation had 210 members, with Bishop Jerry L. Yoder and Ministers Henry E. Tice and Menno J. Yoder.
Address: Salisbury, Pennsylvania
Denominational Affiliation: Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship
|Author(s)||Erwin N Hershberger|
|Date Published||April 2009|
Cite This Article
Hershberger, Erwin N and Sam Steiner. "Mountain View Mennonite Church (Salisbury, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2009. Web. 21 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountain_View_Mennonite_Church_(Salisbury,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=75256.
Hershberger, Erwin N and Sam Steiner. (April 2009). Mountain View Mennonite Church (Salisbury, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountain_View_Mennonite_Church_(Salisbury,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=75256.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 254. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.