From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:59, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), called Blanchard prior to 1918, located six miles (10 km) southeast of Continental, Putnam County, Ohio, was founded soon after 1830 by the Myers and Shank families from Leiters Ford, Maryland. The first meetinghouse, built before 1840 near the site of the 1950s building, which was erected in 1918, was displaced in 1866 by one located about four miles (6.5 km) farther east. The congregation has always been small, and had no resident minister 1886-1906. A. J. Steiner was ordained for this place in 1906, but was called to North Lima, Ohio, in 1908. For various reasons the pastoral supply was quite irregular until 1950 when Norman O. Smith, the 1956 pastor, took charge. The membership, which was 40 in 1912, was 47 in 1956.

Bibliography

Stoltzfus, Grant M. Mennonites of the Ohio and Eastern Conference: from the colonial period in Pennsylvania to 1968. Scottdale, PA: Mennonite Herald Press, 1969.

Umble, John. Ohio Mennonite Sunday Schools. Goshen, IN: Mennonite Historical Society, 1941.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Ottawa, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Pleasant_Mennonite_Church_(Ottawa,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=90214.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Ottawa, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Pleasant_Mennonite_Church_(Ottawa,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=90214.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 759. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.