Mount Joy Mennonite Church is located at 320 Musser Road, Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. It is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Landisville District), and a congregation of Mennonite Church USA.
Mennonites first began worshiping in homes in this area in 1790. Eventually land four miles (6.5 km) southwest of Mount Joy was donated by Peter Kraybill to the "Old Mennonite Congregation of Donegal." The congregation constructed and moved into a log meetinghouse in 1812. John Lehman was the first bishop and Jacob hershey was the first minister.
As the congregation grew, that building was enlarged in 1840, replaced entirely in 1869 and again in 1898. In 1908 a new building was built in the southwestern part of Mount Joy. While people often spoke of Kraybill and Mount Joy as two different congregations, they functioned as one, alternating services between the two buildings. In 1947 the congregation decided to convert the Kraybill meetinghouse to a Christian day school, and all church services were then held in the Mount Joy meetinghouse. A significant remodeling and expansion to that building occurred in 1967. When that building was outgrown, the congregation bought 29 acres and built a new facility, moving into it in April 2006.
Sunday School was begun in 1909, and summer Bible school in 1934. While young people's meetings were held for many years, the "Gospel Cheer Band" began in 1946 and became "Mennonite Youth Fellowship" in 1961. The congregation continued to have many children and youth with a variety of ministries designed for their benefit. Programs in 2007 included Stephen Ministry, small groups, women's Bible studies, men's groups, various prayer ministries, "Helping Hands"-a fellowship meal open to the community, community block parties, Toddlers' and Children's Churches, and Senior Members' morning out.
Mount Joy Mennonite Church has always supported missions, sending missionaries both in North America and overseas, giving strong support to Eastern Mennonite Missions, and reaching out into the local communities. Along with other district congregations Mount Joy helped to plant Christ the King congregation in the 1980s. Beginning in 2001 the Alpha Course on issues of Christian faith has been an effective program at Mount Joy.
Pastors in 2007 were Joe Sherer, serving since 1979, Rich and Dawn Winey serving part-time since 1997, and Randall Shull, serving since 2002. Donna Siegrist was also part of the team, working with women’s ministries. Mount Joy's membership has grown steadily, reaching 366 in May 2007.
|Date Published||May 2007|
Cite This Article
Sherer, Joe. "Mount Joy Mennonite Church (Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2007. Web. 22 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Joy_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Joy,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=90205.
Sherer, Joe. (May 2007). Mount Joy Mennonite Church (Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Joy_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Joy,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=90205.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.