From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:43, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church is an independent congregation in Shelby County, near Shelbyville, Illinois. The Amish first moved to the county in 1907 from Elkhart County, Indiana, in order to be under the direction of John D. Kauffman, who preached while in an unconscious state. Kauffman was ordained to the office of bishop in 1911. Joseph Reber, who was ordained minister of the congregation in 1912 and chosen to succeed Bishop Kauffman in 1914, was still serving in 1958. The membership of Mt. Hermon in 1957 was 41, with D. M. Ulrich and Christy Christner as ministers.

In 2011 the congregation had 15 members and it was a member of the Amish Mennonite Churches.


Bibliography

Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2011. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2011: 33.



Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published April 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church (Shelbyville, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 13 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Hermon_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Shelbyville,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=66762.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (April 2012). Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church (Shelbyville, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mount_Hermon_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Shelbyville,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=66762.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1110. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.