From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:12, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Moscow (Russian, Moskva), founded in 1295, capital of Russia, (1949 population 4,137,018; 2005 pop. 10,415,400), has played a significant role in the history of the Mennonites of Russia. Occasionally young men attended the University of Moscow. During World War I, when Mennonite young men served in hospital units under the All-Russian Union of Zemstvos for Relief of Siok and Wounded Soldiers and other organizations, Moscow was the headquarters of these activities. After the Revolution some young men remained in Moscow and others were attracted to study or work in the capital, among them C. F. Klassen. The American Mennonite Relief operated in Moscow under the direction of A. J. Miller. The Mennonites of Russia maintained an office of the Allrussischer Mennonitischer Landwirtschaftlicher Verein in Moscow, with Peter Froese as president, which also published Der Praktische Landwirt (1925-26.) The office address was Taganskaya Ulitsa. This organization also served as Mennonite center (Menobshestvo) in Moscow advising and helping many of the Mennonite immigrants to Canada. In 1928 all activities had to be discontinued. Most of the 25,000 Mennonites who left Russia 1923-1930 went through Moscow, particularly during the last phase of their migration. In 1929 thousands of Mennonites who planned to leave Russia were stranded in Moscow for many weeks until they were given permission to leave or were forcibly returned home or exiled. During the first years after the Revolution the Mennonites of Russia, under the leadership of Peter F. Froese, took part in the work of the United Council of Religious Bodies in advising the conscientious objectors to war. In 1925 the Allgemeine Bundeskonferenz of Mennonites of Russia convened in Moscow. A complete investigation as to the number of Mennonites who have resided in Moscow has not been made. In the 1950s there were very few there. Moscow was the headquarters for the All-Union Council of Evangelical Christian Baptists, with whom Mennonites of Russia and America had contact.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Moscow (Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Moscow_(Russia)&oldid=92944.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Moscow (Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Moscow_(Russia)&oldid=92944.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 755. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.