Mosbach, a town and formerly a district of the Palatinate (now the capital of the Neckar-Odenwald-Kreis District of the State of Baden-Würrtemberg), Germany, which included in addition to the Mosbach district also the present Sinsheim district. Shortly after the Thirty Years' War Swiss Mennonites settled in the desolate and depopulated region, arriving in complete poverty and finding employment on the estates of the nobles. As laborers they were welcome, but the exercise of their religion was made difficult. They at first had to meet secretly in the woods for their service, until they were permitted to meet in groups of not more than twenty. In 1652 several families came to Neckarelz in the Mosbach district. Some of them moved away. The census of 1925 listed 41 Mennonites living in the Mosbach district.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 169.
 Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Mosbach (Baden-Württemberg, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 7 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mosbach_(Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=92943.
Hege, Christian. (1957). Mosbach (Baden-Württemberg, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mosbach_(Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=92943.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.