Morija Deaconess Home, located at Neu-Halbstadt, South Russia, was the first and only Mennonite deaconess home to be established in Russia, opened on 3 December 1909. A 3-year course offered theoretical as well as practical instruction to Mennonite girls, who offered to dedicate their lives as Christian nurses in Mennonite charitable institutions. The deaconess home also served as a mother house, keeping and caring for the nurses in sickness and old age. The institution was organized as a private charitable organization, all Mennonite churches participating, the initiators being Franz Wall, head of the Muntau Hospital, Peter Schmidt, a rich landowner, and Dr. Erich A. Tavonius, the father of Dr. Erica Tavonius at Fernheim, Paraguay. The home accepted up to 40 nursing students every year. After the Revolution first the religious aspect of the school was changed and in 1927 the last Mennonite head nurse was removed and the deaconess home turned into a medical institute under a Communist leader.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 167.
Mennonite Rundschau (1929): No. 34.
|Author(s)||J. A Koehn|
Cite This Article
Koehn, J. A. "Morija Deaconess Home (Neu-Halbstadt, Molotschna Settlement, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morija_Deaconess_Home_(Neu-Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Settlement,_Ukraine)&oldid=105979.
Koehn, J. A. (1957). Morija Deaconess Home (Neu-Halbstadt, Molotschna Settlement, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morija_Deaconess_Home_(Neu-Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Settlement,_Ukraine)&oldid=105979.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.