The Molotschna Home for the Aged, located on the Kurushan River in the Molotschna Mennonite settlement, South Russia, was started on 90 acres of community land owned by the Halbstadt volost (district) in 1903 as a centennial monument to the founding of the Molotschna settlement. The land was donated, and the capital for the building of a 40,000 ruble structure was raised through assessment. The large modern brick building opened in 1906 was equipped to house 50 guests, but was to be enlarged to accommodate 100. The charges for the guests per person were 10 rubles per month. The cost of maintenance for 50 guests amounted to 6,000 rubles per year. The home was managed by a committee of which Elder A. Görz was the chairman in 1910. Among those who served as house parents were Mr. and Mrs. J. Epp and F. Willms.
Friesen, Peter M. Die Alt-Evangelische Mennonitische Brüderschaft in Russland (1789-1910) im Rahmen der mennonitischen Gesamtgeschichte. Halbstadt: Verlagsgesellschaft "Raduga", 1911: 661.
Goerz, H. Die Molotschnaer Ansiedlung. Steinbach, MB: Echo-Verlag, 1951: 150.
Mennonitisches Jahrbuch. Gnadenfeld: Heinrich Dirks (1911-12): 113.
 Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Molotschna Home for the Aged." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Molotschna_Home_for_the_Aged&oldid=90109.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Molotschna Home for the Aged. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Molotschna_Home_for_the_Aged&oldid=90109.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.