Moencopi Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite Church) was located about two and one-half miles (4 km) east of Tuba City, Arizona, which was a government post for the Western District of the Navaho Reservation, approximately 75 miles (125 km) north of Flagstaff. Mission work was begun at Moencopi in about 1905. Among the missionaries then on the field were J. R. Duerksen, J. B. Fry, and Mary Schirmer. J. B. Fry was given charge of Moencopi mission work. The work is carried on under the direction of the Home Missions section of the Board of Missions.
The workers in 1956 were Mr. and Mrs. Henry A. Kliewer, members of the Immanuel Mennonite Church of Downey. A church council consisting of all adult members was organized 18 October 1955. It was hoped that soon a more complete organization would be formed. The work carried on consisted of regular Sunday school and morning worship services, Sunday evening services, midweek children's classes, and adult Bible class. During the winter months special sewing classes are held for the women. Plans were being worked out for men and older boys. Visitation was a very important phase of the work. In 1956, the membership included three Hopis, two Navahos, one Acoma, one Eskimo, and one Cherokee.
|Author(s)||Henry A Kliewer|
Cite This Article
Kliewer, Henry A. "Moencopi Mennonite Mission (Tuba City, Arizona, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 29 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Moencopi_Mennonite_Mission_(Tuba_City,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=58987.
Kliewer, Henry A. (1957). Moencopi Mennonite Mission (Tuba City, Arizona, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Moencopi_Mennonite_Mission_(Tuba_City,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=58987.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.