From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Milford Defenseless Mennonite Church, now extinct, was located in Seward County, Nebraska. It had its beginning in the late 1890s, when settlers came from Groveland and Flanagan, Illinois. In 1891 they built a church. C. R. Egle from the Flanagan area was chosen the first minister. After a number of years Joseph Rediger from Groveland succeeded him, serving as pastor for a number of years. Silas Miller also served the church. For a time Rediger apparently preached in German and Miller in English. At the beginning there were about 40 members and at the most 100. Some of the members came from the Amish church near by.

In 1915 a revival took place in which many were converted. Shortly thereafter there was some difference of opinion as to doctrine and the church was dismissed from the conference. The building was then sold to the group, who later sold it for salvage. About four or five, however, remained with the Defenseless Mennonite Conference. Others became affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ.


Author(s) E. E Zimmerman
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Zimmerman, E. E. "Milford Defenseless Mennonite Church (Milford, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 1 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Milford_Defenseless_Mennonite_Church_(Milford,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=102529.

APA style

Zimmerman, E. E. (1957). Milford Defenseless Mennonite Church (Milford, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Milford_Defenseless_Mennonite_Church_(Milford,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=102529.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 688. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.