Mierau was first mentioned in historical documents in 1318 and was granted a charter between 1324 and 1338. Until 1772 Mierau was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Irrgang was located. Mierau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Mierau (now Mirowo) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 census lists 13 Mennonite families with the following Mennonite names: Barch, Bestvader, Claasen, Ens, Epp, Esau, Penner, Wieb, and Wiens. In 1820, the village had 270 residents, including 61 Mennonites. In the 1860s, the village had 338 Catholics and Lutherans and 72 Mennonites.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Mirowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 15 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=389&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Mirowo, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 15 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirowo,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 15 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4261.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Mierau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mierau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95902.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Mierau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mierau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95902.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.