From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:57, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Midway Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located near Columbiana, Mahoning County, Ohio, is a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA. The first meetinghouse was built about 1825 on land deeded to the church by Jacob Oberholtzer, who was the first Mennonite minister in Ohio, having arrived here in 1806. A new brick church was constructed in 1869 to replace the older building. An addition was constructed in 1899. The building had been remodeled twice since that time (to 1956). For many years the members and the ministers were a part of the circuit of the three churches—Midway, North Lima, and Leetonia, rather than assigned to a specific church. The bishops who served since about 1866 were Joseph Bixler, John Burkholder, and Albert J. Steiner. In 1956 Paul Yoder was bishop-pastor, and Ernest Martin minister, with a membership of 164. It was called Oberholtzer's until 1898.


Author(s) Paul R Yoder
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Yoder, Paul R. "Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Midway_Mennonite_Church_(Columbiana,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89949.

APA style

Yoder, Paul R. (1957). Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Midway_Mennonite_Church_(Columbiana,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89949.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 682. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.