Midland Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was organized in June 1913, the first families having arrived from Emma, Indiana, in 1910 (Jacob Emmert) and 1912 (A. D. Miller). The first meetinghouse was a remodeled log dwelling in 1916, located five miles (8 km) north of Midland. The second, a former Grange hall 3/4 miles southwest of the city, was used in 1917-1928; then a new meetinghouse of cinder block was built on the same site. The first resident minister was E. A. Bontrager 1916-1939 (following Will Haarer, who served as unordained leader 1913-1916). F. F. Bontrager (ordained 1926) served as bishop-pastor after 1934, but Clarence Yoder (ordained 1936) served in 1956 as pastor, assisted by Erie Kindy, since Bontrager had charge of the mission outpost at Clare, 30 miles (50 km) northwest of Midland. In 1956 the membership was 134.
 Additional Information
Address: 2510 East Stewart Road, Midland, MI 48640
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Midland Mennonite Church (Midland, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Midland_Mennonite_Church_(Midland,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113707.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Midland Mennonite Church (Midland, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Midland_Mennonite_Church_(Midland,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113707.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.