The Mennonite Resettlement Finance, Inc. (MRF) was incorporated as a nonprofit organization on 16 December 1946 to function as the trustee of funds received from the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and others for the purpose of aiding and assisting in the migration, location, resettlement, and rehabilitation of Mennonite refugees and other individuals or groups served by the MCC. The members, constituting the Board of Directors and numbering not less than five and not more than eight, were appointed by the Mennonite Central Committee for terms of one year. The officers—chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, and treasurer—were elected by the Mennonite Resettlement Finance Board members.
From the beginning of its function as a trustee, the economic problems of the settlement in South America, particularly in Paraguay, became a major concern of the Mennonite Resettlement Finance Board. Responsibility for receiving and administering additional loan funds was lodged in the MRF, as well as the trusteeship for receiving repayment on loans and for reinvestment. From time to time adjustments were made on the debts of immigrants.
On 30 December 1954 the Mennonite Resettlement Finance Board was dissolved by action of the Mennonite Central Committee annual meeting, and its functions and assets were transferred to the parent organization, the Mennonite Central Committee. The directors at the time of liquidation were E. C. Bender, C. A. DeFehr, C. L. Graber, Abe M. Hallman, Raymond Schlichting, Elvin R. Souder, and William T. Snyder.
|Author(s)||William T Snyder|
Cite This Article
Snyder, William T. "Mennonite Resettlement Finance, Inc." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Feb 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Resettlement_Finance,_Inc&oldid=92759.
Snyder, William T. (1957). Mennonite Resettlement Finance, Inc. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Resettlement_Finance,_Inc&oldid=92759.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.